Sunday, April 05, 2009

Nine Roses The Garden by Stephen Craig Rowe

Several years ago I cut some roses from my little garden and arrainged them in a champaigne flute.  Then waited for just the right light with my Cannon T50 hovering on the tripod.  When the classic composition was properly framed and the early evening light seemed to shimmer just for a moment.  I held my breath and let the shutter fly.  Later that evening at World Famous Big Al's I placed the flute of roses on the stage for a favored exotic dancer.  As she thanked me for the roses and told me how beautiful they were I saw happy tears sparkle in her eyes and smiled.
Yesterday afternoon I was able to spend some time in the small garden taking on some lite tasks of weeding and cutting back stems that winter was not kind to.  Tend to cut away the brown down to the green just above a tiny sprout.  My landlord dropped by and we made some small talk.
" Did they make it through the winter "?  He asked pointing to the roses.
" Eight of the nine did.  Don't see any signs of the JFK rose ".
" We don't have much luck with roses.  How was your trip to the VA Medical Center in Danville"?
" Mostly routine.  Lab works, a follow up interview with the surgeon, another CT scan and a visit with the wound care nurse".  It had been only 32 days since my operation I thought.  Then said,
" Will know more after the CT scan in Indianapolis later this month.  The scanner there is more advanced than the one in Danville and after the scan will meet with the radiology-oncology team".
" Hope things go well in Indy".  He said and left me to my gardening.
Time spent in the garden to me is rather like taking a walk in the woods or getting into a good book when all the trouble and strife of the world fades as one's focus is on the intricate beauty of life and thoughts are kind as they wander within and without. 
I did promise my dear friend Riette from Port Edward, South Africa a photo of the front of my house.  It is early spring and this morning is grey.  The shot was taken about an hour ago and is rather stark but as summer comes so do the hanging baskets and pots of flowers to brighten the porch.  The rest of the photographs are of the young roses and some signs of life from my walk on Saturday April 4th.
This just in from http://bobdylan.com/ 
Listen to "Feel A Change Comin' On"
From Bob Dylan's new album
TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE
As ever be well,  Stephen Craig Rowe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen, this is an exquite photo and a lovely story. I will link it in Twitter. Nice to see you, too, in the AI comments - we are finally getting some useful, usable statistics.

Cheers
Lesley.

Pukka said...

Dear friend
What a nice story and what a cozy house!
So u r using blogspot now, huh? Is it better than Live Spaces?
Don´t be a strange, k?
(((hugs)))

Grandmother Witch said...

Stephen I like options, and you and Nadine have certainly shown that blogging has many, and it really is time that I got my feet wet somewhere else. I love the pictures and your use of music here. Hope you're feeling well, and hope that spring is sprung in Chi town, although I had email from my son in Ann Arbor and they have lot's of snow still. I am still waiting for my copy of Tender Grances to arrive.
Blessed be,
Deborah

Maria Jose said...

Hello Stephen
How are you?
next month I am going to Newark ...In this moment I am recovering of a surgical operation and after that, I will prepare my trip.
Happy Easter to you and to your family
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Certainly, never it is impossible to be assured.